Alley's Recipe Book
Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book       Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book
Alley

Turkey, Cheddar, and Apple Panini - total time 15 minutes

DSC05237

We haven't had deli meat in our house for a while.  When I realized how much was added to make deli meat what it is, it made my stomach hurt.  I have always wondered why we eat things that doctors recommend pregnant women to avoid.

No deli meat certainly does not mean that we don't eat sandwiches at home!  We frequently have shredded chicken leftovers in our fridge.  This time we had some turkey leftover from a turkey tenderloin I made earlier in the week (so this would make a great sandwich for you leftover Thanksgiving turkey).  

In the past I have been wary about adding fruit to savory meals.  I never really understood adding fruit to salad (except tomatoes).  But now I rarely make a salad without some kind of fruit, whether its is dried cranberries, fresh strawberries, or sliced apples.  I felt the same way about sandwiches... I mean adding cheese to an apple didn't seem like a flavor combination I would enjoy.  But I wanted to try it, and this sandwich changed my mind!

The crispness of the apple, the creamy, sharp cheese, and the savory, tender turkey makes this sandwich the trifecta of textures and flavors!


1 apple, sliced
4 slices cheddar cheese
.5 lb leftover turkey slices
4 slices of bread
2 tbsp butter

1.  Brown butter in a pan over medium heat.  Place bread in the melted butter, then flip to get other side buttered as well.  Grill for 2 minutes.
2.  Flip bread, add cheese to both sides.  Layer on apples and sliced turkey.  Add the bread on top and press down.  Grill for 2 minutes, flip sandwich, and grill 2 more minutes.

DSC05223 
DSC05228 DSC05230 
DSC05232 DSC05239
Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...