Alley's Recipe Book
Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book       Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book
Alley

Veggie Calzone - total time 35 minutes


Do you like ricotta?  There are a lot of people that don't.  Most of them substitute cottage cheese to replace ricotta... that's just not an even switch to me.  Maybe you either like ricotta or you like cottage cheese.  Maybe?

I've been making calzones for years.  My husband and I call them Alley Doughs after consuming more DP Dough calzones than we probably should have in college.  I never thought to put ricotta in them... ever.  But lately I have been limiting the amount of meat I eat (and currently that is no meat) so I've been choosing the veggie calzones at Sarefino's and Little Palace, both of which have ricotta and are molto delizioso (starting to work on my Italian for vacation :))!  I might be bias, because I love ricotta, but I think it makes calzones so much tastier!

This recipe is for one calzone, but one is easily enough for two people.  If you finish a whole calzone by yourself in one sitting, you get a free tshirt and your photo on a wall somewhere in cyberspace.  And a nap.  Because you'll be so full you won't want to do anything else. 
.5 dough ball
1 cup spinach
.5 cup roasted bell pepper
.5 cup artichokes
.25 cup fresh mozzarella
.25 cup parm, shredded
.25 cup ricotta
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees with pizza stone of baking sheet in the oven.  Pat mozzarella balls dry.
2.  Roll out dough ball to about .25 inch thickness.  Pile on the spinach, roasted peppers, and artichokes.  Add the mozzarella, sprinkle the parm, and dollop the ricotta.  Sprinkle salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
3.  Fold and tuck ends of the dough to make a loaf-like shape.  Cut a few slits into the calzone to allow steam to escape.  Spray olive oil on top (or you could brush egg white on top instead).
4.  Transfer calzone to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.  Once finished baking, allow it to rest a couple minutes before cutting in half and serving with marinara sauce.

DSC08251 DSC08255
DSC08253 DSC08257
DSC08258 DSC08260
DSC08265 DSC08268
DSC08269 DSC08273 
DSC08276 DSC08275
DSC08281 DSC08286
DSC08287
Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...