Alley's Recipe Book
Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book       Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book
Alley

Weekly Menu

The first official weekend of summer is about to wrap up.  The extra sunshine is wonderful as I sit outside sitting in the grass typing this post (in the shade, because it is hot).  It is kind of funny to me that the more extreme the temperature, hot or cold, the more likely I am to read through several books.  During winter, after the hustle and bustle of the holidays are over, it is nice to cuddle on the couch with a blanket and a good book while the fire is warming the room.  And then in summer I love to sit outside and read while enjoying the fresh air and singing birds (and keep a watchful eye on any bunny attacks on the garden).  Or a beach vacation reading in the moments not in the surf.  I'm not sure what happens to my need to read during spring and autumn...

One of the books on my summer reading list came into the library this weekend.  I have only read a handful of pages, but I am already convinced it will rank among my favorites.  Michael Pollan, one of my favorite authors on food ethics and nutrition, wrote a book about cooking (the importance of cooking and how we are globally cooking less and eating packaged/processed food more) entitled Cooked.  While I am a big advocate of cooking more at home, of course, the first few pages had a very thought provoking statement... the thing that differentiates humans from the rest of the animal kingdom is cooking.  Cooking our foods enabled us to more easily digest our foods and metabolize that food into more energy to power our brains.  Cooking is also the main reason for the development of human culture.  Huh... never thought of it that way.  Can't wait to read more!

Our fridge is kind of over run with lettuce and leftovers right now.  I have been taking salads to work for lunch everyday to keep up with the lettuce from our CSA and garden.  That has left a stack of leftovers that I would normally take in for lunch left in our fridge.  So we are eating leftovers tonight and tomorrow to get through the surplus before making more leftovers!  :)

leftovers
buffalo chicken burgers with crispy potatoes and salad
creamy squash casserole
zucchini latkes with radish slaw
chicken florentine artichoke bake Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...