Alley's Recipe Book
Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book       Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book
Alley

Veggie Sushi - total time 30 minutes


As soon as you give up something, you start craving it almost immediately.  Giving up meat made me miss sushi.  My husband and I frequently have Friday night sushi at our local sushi place and we haven't been since Lent began (they are probably wondering if we are okay).  So, since I was missing this Friday night tradition (well, not every Friday), I took it into my own hands and made my own sushi!

It is really pretty easy to do.  Great for raw foodies, pregnant ladies, and vegetarians alike.  It is pretty inexpensive too (unlike sushi restaurants, but you are skipping the most expensive, skill-intensive part, the raw fish).  You can go for pretty much any vegetable you can cut into thin slices (asparagus, green beans, sweet potato, bell pepper, etc), but I went pretty traditional.


3 sheets of nori (dried seaweed, easily found in the international aisle of your grocery store)
1 cup rice, cooked and chilled
1 tbsp vinegar
1 avocado
3 carrots
1 cucumber
soy sauce

1.  Cook rice according to package, but with one tablespoon of vinegar added to the water.  Once cooked, transfer to a bowl and chill (I made my rice while eating breakfast and let it chill throughout the work day).
2.  Slice the vegetables into thin strips, about the size of a pencil or even thinner.
3.  Lay nori flat (I have a sushi mat, but you could use a towel or a dry surface with dry hands).  Spread cooled rice on 75% of nori leaving one end clear.  Lay vegetable slices across.  Tuck and roll sushi, tight, but not too tight.  Seal roll by dipping your finger in water and running it across the edge of the nori.
4.  To cut your roll, use your sharpest knife.  Wet your knife with running water before each cut (this is important for getting a clean cut and round sushi!).  Serve with soy sauce and miso soup.




Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...