I can't believe that only a 10 years ago I had never even heard of zucchini, much less ever ate it. Which is why I try to make it a priority to try new foods and cook new things nearly every week. It is easy to get into a routine of the same ten or so meals... but just think of all the things you might be missing out on... like me and zucchini!
Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable. When I first started cooking it, it was usually just a quick saute as a side dish or baked into bread. As I try new recipes, there are many entrees that include zucchini...
A couple recipes where zucchini is the star of the entree...
zucchini enchiladas (my favorite)
stuffed squash blossoms (well, this is before the zucchini is a zucchini)
creamy squash casserole
A couple recipes where zucchini is the supporting role...
veggie sushi rolls
beer braised sausage & veggies
vegetarian stuffed peppers
And here is another one! These stuffed zucchini turned out very delicious and my husband is already requesting it again. I used paprika because I wanted a smoky flavor that night instead of basil and oregano. The little bit of butter at the bottom of the casserole dish helped saute the zucchini cups while they were baking. This will definitely be in our summer recipe rotation every year! :)
2 large zucchini
1 lb ground turkey
2 cups tomatoes, blended
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp paprika (or italian herbs)
.25 cup grated parm
3 slices of cheese
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Cook ground turkey in a pan over medium heat. Add salt and pepper.
2. Scoop out tomatoes from their skins and pulse once or twice in blender or food processor. once turkey is mostly browned add tomatoes, garlic, onion and paprika; cook for five minutes.
3. Cut large zucchini into 3 inch length pieces. Scoop out the middle of the zucchini to form cups.
4. Drain of any excess tomato juice from the pan and add parm to turkey mixture, then scoop mixture into each of the zucchini cups. Butter the bottom of the casserole dish and place zucchini cups in dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Add a slice of cheese to the top of each zucchini cup and bake for an additional 20 minutes.